DIY Pop Art Doodle Coasters
• Four semi gloss white 4.25x4.25 inch tiles from Home Depot (56 cents!)
• Pebeo Porcelaine 150 China Paint Fine Tip Marker, Anthracite Black
• Shepherd Hardware Prod. Cd/20 x 12: Ace Round Felt Pads (9951/ACE)
This project is about as simple as it gets.
• Doodle whatever you want on the tiles (favorite quotes, inside jokes, Bible verses, hearts, etc.)
• Let it dry for 72 hours (or bake it– either way works)
• Add the a felt pad to each corner of the bottom of the tile (4 per tile)
I wanted a pop art look for my coasters, so I went with thought bubbles, block letters and graphic background designs (stripes, dots, circles and chevron). It took me about 20 minutes to do this– granted, I'm a fast doodler– and I love the way they came out! They are much more fun than the boring coasters we were using.
Need ideas for different lettering styles? I went through some of my favorite hand-lettering options and how I draw them here. I'm a total nerd for doodling and am always trying to come up with new styles of letters to use for homemade greeting cards and personal notes.
While on the topic of fonts, my favorite free font site is dafont.com. They have so many styles available, and there are easy instructions for how to install the free fonts to your computer.
The cost for this project was only 52 cents because I already had the felt pads and porcelaine pen. It's an easy DIY gift idea and would be perfect for a hostess or housewarming gift, don't you think?
* Almost Friday *